Terry Kirkland, founder and organizer for 1-7 Marines Vietnam, (334) 365-0043, (cell) or hotel (505) 884-2500
One-Seven Marines Vietnam Vets Reunite in Albuquerque
When: Reunion dates are May 15-18, 2008
Where: The Hilton Albuquerque, 1901 University NE
What: All events are open to the media. Attached itinerary subject to last minute changes for time and location. Highlights include:
1. Approximately 350 former and active duty Marines and family members nationwide will attend the four-day reunion, May 15-18.
2. May 17 is Armed Forces Day. Established in 1949 for citizens to come together and thank our military for its patriotic service in support of our country.
3. 1/7 Marines will be honoring the memory of 564 Marines and Corpsman who were Killed In Action during 1965-70 on Saturday, May 17 at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 1100 Indian School Road beginning at 12:30pm followed by graveside placing of wreaths.
4. Special commemoration to Albuquerque’s own who were KIA serving 1/7 Marines: Corpsman Jeffery Nolan Smith, KIA 12/9/69 and James Michael Moore, USMC, KIA 8/31/67. Members of the Smith and Moore families will be attending the commemoration on Saturday, May 17.
5. Special acknowledgement to Al Weh, former 1-7 Marine, Albuquerque businessman and New Mexico Republican Party Chairman. Al was a combat infantry officer in the 1-7 during 1968, and was instrumental in bringing the 2008 reunion to Albuquerque.
Schedule of Events:
Note: All Times and Events are subject to change. Hospitality Room (Rio Grande Room) will have the most current schedule.
Thursday, 15 May
8:30AM Registration Desk and Hospitality Room opens at the Albuquerque Hilton
Beer, wine, soft drinks, set ups and chips provided. BYOB, Bring photos, mementos and souvenirs to display
Friday, 16 May
8:30AM Registration Desk and Hospitality Room opens at Albuquerque Hilton
9:00AM Bus departs for Kirtland AFB and Osprey display, also “Old Town”
1:30PM Bus arrives back at hotel
6:00PM BBQ at Albuquerque Hilton in Hospitality Room (Rio Grande Room)
7:00PM Roundhouse Discussions from Floor:
1/7 Marines Return to Vietnam and
Morton Hurt, Operation “Mameluke Thrust” May 19, 1968
Saturday, 17 May
8:30AM All Hands Meeting: everyone needs to attend (Colorado/Texas Room)
11:30AM Buses depart Albuquerque Hilton for Memorial Service
3:00PM Buses return from Memorial Service
6:00PM No host Cocktail Reception
7:00PM Banquet (New Mexico Ball Room)
Sunday, 18 May
8:00AM – 10:00AM Farewell Breakfast Buffet (New Mexico Ball Room)