Travel Info in 2 NEW Versions
The New Mexico Department of Transportation’s popular “NMRoads” travel- planning and road conditions web site is now available on-the-go, whenever and wherever it’s needed, throughout New Mexico.
NMDOT announces the public release of a new mobile “app” for NMRoads , providing New Mexico motorists and interstate travelers, with full access to, and use of the web site’s many interactive traffic, travel-planning and road-condition reporting features, 24/7, from any location where coverage exists.The new mobile “app” comes in 2 different versions depending upon the type of mobile platform being used.
* NMRoads I-Phone version is fully compatible with the Apple I-Phone 4 operating system, and the Apple I-Pad
* NMRoads Droid version brings full NMRoads web site functionality to Droid-based smart phone users, and to most Android-compatible tablets.
* A mobile web-based version of NMRoads is also available for devices that are not compatible with either the Droid’s or the Apple I-phone’s latest operating systems. This includes Blackberry mobile devices. The mobile web site also allows full access to our statewide network of live video cameras and electronic message boards.Interactive Features
The new NMRoads Mobile Apps feature all of the popular interactive elements available on the familiar NMRoads web site, including:
- Statewide listings of road conditions and any restrictions or closures that may be in effect
- Travel-time information for I-25 and I-40 motorists in the Albuquerque metro area
- Traffic congestion information statewide
- Locations of NMDOT maintained rest areas
- Current weather conditions for major New Mexico cities,
- Bicycle routes
- Park & Ride locations
- Direct access to the National Weather Service, including Doppler radar images
- RailRunner commuter-train schedules and station location information
- Access to NMDOT’s toll-free 511 travel advisory service
- Links to travel information in surrounding states.Hands-Free Operation with English/Spanish Versions
What’s more, the new mobile apps include a “hands free” audio feature, so that motorists can be aware of any travel issues or roadway conditions that may exist ahead of them on their route of travel, without taking their eyes off the road. All of this information is available to users, either in English or Spanish.
“These new mobile applications provide travelers with the latest and most accurate New Mexico road and weather condition information available,” says Alvin Dominguez, New Mexico Secretary of Transportation. “They greatly enhance both the types of information and levels of service that we can deliver to the traveling public,” he adds.Easy to Download
Beginning June 28th, 2012, both the I-Phone 4 version and the Droid version of the app are available without charge, through either the Apple Apps store for I-Phone 4 users, or the Google Play/Android Market for phones and tablets compatible with the Android operating system. In addition, the NMRoads web-based apps can be downloaded to mobile phones -- free -- at the “NMRoads.com” web site.