“This is a great way to expand the anniversary celebrations of two of the state’s most recognized attractions”, said Dewey Cave, Interim Executive Director, Mid-Region Council of Governments. “This anniversary excursion will give people a chance to appreciate the convenience of New Mexico’s commuter train, while taking in a dose of our state’s unique and artful culture.”
For starters, anniversary passengers will begin their journey in Albuquerque by boarding a specially designated train car headed north to Santa Fe. Once on their way, they will be treated to an informative narrative given by O’Keeffe Museum docents who will talk about O’Keeffe’s life and art, including the artist’s first visit to New Mexico by train. When they arrive at the Santa Fe Depot Rail Runner station at 4:10 in the afternoon, busses will whisk passengers a half-mile to the museum, where they will be greeted with an O’Keeffe/Rail Runner anniversary gift bag, and afforded an opportunity to view "Georgia O’Keeffe: Abstraction" – the museum’s critically acclaimed O’Keeffe exhibition, which was named to the top-10 of the year lists by Time Magazine, New Yorker and Art + Auction Magazine. The evening will culminate with an exclusive courtyard wine reception before a return shuttle and waiting train takes “O’Keeffe Express” passengers back to Albuquerque.
“The Rail Runner has transformed the way people come and visit downtown Santa Fe”, said Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Public Relations Manager Ryan Stark, who is also a regular Rail Runner commuter. “And with the Santa Fe Depot just a few blocks away, the Rail Runner is the perfect way to come visit the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum from Albuquerque.”
Tickets can be purchased online at nmrailrunner.com, or by calling 505-988-1234.
***Shuttle service provided by Santa Fe Trails. Catering provided by Hilton Santa Fe Golf Resort and Spa at Buffalo Thunder***
- Ticket holders should board Train #506 at any station south of the Sandoval County/US 550 Station. This will ensure that they will be on board to hear the full docent presentation.
- This specially designated railcar is the northern most car – furthest away from the locomotive.
- For the return trip, the existing Saturday schedule has been altered slightly.
- Train #511 normally departing the Santa Fe Depot at 6:30 p.m. has been pushed back to a 7:30 p.m. departure.
- Train #511 will reach all destinations approximately one hour later than normal for this day only.