The Rail Yards Market (RYM) is excited to announce that we are back and better than ever! The 2015 market opens on May 3rd and will run most Sundays from 9AM-1PM through October. We aim to continue and improve upon this community-powered movement to stimulate local economic growth in Albuquerque and expose the community to local artists and educators. While you're at the historic rail yards, stop by the Wheels Museum!
Highlights of the 2014 Season
The Albuquerque community really made our inaugural season a rousing success. Due to your support we:
- Welcomed over 120,000 folks through our doors in 2014
- Generated over $500,000 in local business revenues
- Amassed over 16,236 volunteer hours
- Provided a platform for 730+ vendors & artists
- Amassed over 11,000 fans on Facebook
Additionally we featured dancers, poets, fortune tellers, bike valet, a FUSION Theatre production of Princess Marisol & the Moon Thieves, high-wire acts, and information from various community health care organizations.
Diversity is of paramount importance to us at the RYM. Throughout the 2015 season, we aim to welcome a variety of vendors. Artisans and artists will be rotating to allow more opportunities for all of our talented community members. In addition, our Educational Zones will include more community organizations and will be focused toward specific themes. While we will be bringing back some favorites from last season like morning exercises, poets, and flamenco dancers, we will also be diversifying our entertainment options.
Musically, we plan on mixing up the lineups we have to include traditional New Mexican music, Latino and African American musicians, Native American acts, as well as music offerings from all around our local and international community.
With an eye toward expanding our culinary offerings, we are reaching out to our Asian American restaurateurs. Continuing with the theme of reaching deeper into our community, the RYM is hiring a Community Outreach Coordinator who will be tasked with forging connections and creating alliances with neighborhood groups around the vicinity of the RYM and beyond. Their duties will also include fundraising and the disbursement of our RYM tokens throughout Albuquerque.
3 Things to Look Forward to in 2015
1. More Vendors: we have increased our vendor numbers to roughly 100 every Sunday.
2. WIC & SNAP: we will start accepting WIC (Women, Infants, and Children Supplemental Food Program) as well as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) funding. Participants can use their SNAP "double up food bucks" at the RYM to buy double the produce for half the price.
3. Monthly Newsletter: we will publishing a monthly newsletter that will contain information and discounts. Be on the lookout for signups shortly!
How to Get Involved
The Rail Yards Market is focused on building a resilient and sustainable local economy that we all love to work and play in. Through food, art, and music, we hope to bring our community together in an atmosphere of fun and creativity. We are a community-run, volunteer-powered organization and we always welcome your participation. We are holding multiple Community Forums open to the public where we welcome your input. To volunteer, partner, sponsor or for more info please visit our website and "Like" our Facebook page.
See you at the Rail Yards!