In honor of the 2015 USA Roller Sports National Championships coming to Albuquerque this July, we've gathered some fun facts that you didn't know about roller sports as well as what to expect from the events. Come out and experience the competition for yourself, starting July 11th at the Albuquerque Convention Center. The event schedule is as follows:
5 things you didn't know about Roller Sports:
- There is a National Museum of Roller Skating, located in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- The first recorded invention of roller skates was in London, England in 1760 by John Joseph Merlin.
- As of December 2014, there are 6,630 registered USA Roller Sports members.
- Research shows that roller skating can provide an aerobic workout similar to running that improves cardiovascular health, but is much lower impact.
- States with an abundance of sunny days, such as New Mexico, are particularly well-suited to outdoor roller skating. In Albuquerque, more and more roller skaters are taking advantage of our many paved outdoor trails.
What to expect at the 2015 USARS events:
Free admission will be offered for military personnel and immediate family members (up to 4 people) with a military ID. Regular ticket prices range from $10 for a one-day ticket to $70 for a multi-day pass. Various discounts are available when tickets are purchased as a group as well as for New Mexico residents, so be sure to bring a valid photo ID.
In addition to the skating events, there will be a tradeshow area featuring equipment, costume supplies, and souvenirs.