2008 USBC Open Championships Kickoff Activities
* What: The 2008 United States Bowling Congress Open Championships staff will be hosting an end-of-construction open house to offer local media a look at the completed transformation of the Albuquerque Convention Center into a 60-lane state-of-the-art bowling venue.
* When: Wednesday, Feb. 6 from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m.
* Where: Albuquerque Convention Center East Complex
* Additional information: The 2008 event, which will feature 12,615 five-player teams, will mark the tournament's second visit to Albuquerque. The event was first held in Albuquerque in 2000 and attracted 10,688 teams.
The 2008 Open Championships will begin its 143-day run Saturday, Feb. 16 as the first of more than 63,000 bowlers take to the lanes. Competition will continue from 7 a.m. until 2 a.m. each day until July 7.
* Unique media opportunity: As part of Bowlfest, a celebration/kickoff event on Friday, Feb. 15, local newspapers, magazines, TV and radio stations will have the opportunity to field three-player teams and compete in a special media match on the championships lanes. The winning publication/station will be crowned the media bowling champion of Albuquerque.
If you are interested in participating in the media match, please let us know by Monday, Feb. 11.
OTHER OPENING-WEEK EVENTS
Leading up to Opening Day, USBC will hold several events to help share the championship experience with bowlers who may not get the chance to compete in the Open Championships.
These events include practice sessions and sweepers to help test the newly-installed lanes and pinsetters, the New Mexico High School State Championships, the Special Olympics National Unified Tournament and a special tournament for local youth members.
Sunday, Feb. 10- Practice day for invited guests, 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 12- Sweeper tournament (open to all USBC members), 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 13- New Mexico High School State Championships, 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 14- Special Olympics National Unified Tournament, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 15- Special Olympics National Unified Tournament, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Bowlfest, 5:30 p.m.; Youth Tournament, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 16- Opening squad and Mass Ball Shot Ceremony, 1:30 p.m.; Official Opening Ceremony, 7 p.m.
NOTE: For photo, video and interview opportunities, please contact Media Relations Manager Matt Cannizzaro at (414) 350-1226.
Watch bowling like never before:
Bowling's Clash of Champions
Saturday, May 10th - 5 PM ET
Sunday, May 11th - 4 PM ET
on CBS Sports